Welcome back to Wellness Wednesday!
If you are a new reader welcome to the 4mommyvibez blog. My name is Ashley and I created this site because I wanted to have a place where I can connect with other women who want to find balance in all areas of their lives! If you see something you like or would like to connect for future content please hit the Follow tab. You can also connect with me on social media by following the links on my contact page.
Now on to the topic for this Wellness Wednesday: DIY Cleanses
Many of us hear about cleansing or detoxing and think wow I could totally use this to kick start my health journey. Whether you do it to reset your digestive track, for the benefits of weightloss, or because you are just interested to see if detoxing really works for you we all have looked into cleansing/detoxing for one reason or the other. In this post I am going to share with you what a cleanse or detox is, the benefits of cleansing /detoxing, and some cleanses/detoxes you can do for yourself at home with things you should already have on hand, but first a disclaimer.
*This information is for educational purposes only. I am not a dietician or healthcare professional. I am just sharing information that I have gained from research and have applied to the lives of my husband and myself that have worked well. Before attempting any of the detoxes I will mention I have discussed it with our healthcare providers to make sure that it would not harm us. Please consult a physician before trying anything mentioned and use the information provided as a stepping stone to seeking more information on advancing your own health.
What is a cleanse/detox?
A cleanse/detox is something that you do to promote your health. These cleanses/detoxes have proven to help aide in digestion, breakdown toxins, and help alleviate waste in your system naturally. There are debates on whether they work on not. Though complex speaking from personal experience I can say that cleansing has worked for both my husband and myself as mentioned earlier in improving our weight loss goals and improving our overall health. However, results differ based on several things: what your goal is, your personal health when starting, how committed you are to the process, diet, exercise, and making sure that you have permission and are working with a healthcare professional!
What are the benefits of a cleanse/detox?
From experience and research some of the benefits of cleansing are as follows:
- Alleviating toxins
- Improves digestive health
- Increases in immune health
- Increased energy levels
How to cleanse/detox your body?
- WATER! One of the best ways to better aide in jump starting your cleanse/detox because our bodies need water. The benefits of water alone are: hydration, flushes toxins, improves complexion (yes brighter clearer skin), boosts immune health, and so much more.
- Eliminate processed foods/ sugar: Bye bye doughnuts and hello green apples. You wouldn’t call walking two minutes to a McDonald’s or Chick fil a workout would you? There are so many reasons to cut out processed foods and table sugar that is a whole other topic. So let’s just all agree that it’s bad for you and your health okay.
- Add more fresh fruits and vegetables: I’m sure you rolled your eyes at the screen. But I would be lying if I said all we did to improve our health was drink these magic drinks and the weight fell off. So I am going to say it anyways. Eat your fruits and vegetables people! The benefits are enormous and your body will thank you!
- Exercise: Exercise, workout, whatever you call it is a big part in detoxing. Sweating is good for you! Sweat helps the body to eliminate those nasty toxins from our bodies. So aim to get in exercise at least 3 days a week. Hint: Intercourse with your spouse is a great way to get the blood flowing and sweat pouring.
- Fasting: Now I am not that big on fasting and I don’t advise trying to fast on several days in a row. I am a believer in intermittent fasting (choosing to eat at specific times) or choosing one day out of the week to fast from sun up to sun down. Fasting is really giving your digestive system a break so that it can better help with eliminating waste. Please do your own research and talk to a professional before trying this method!
Ways to Cleanse/Detox
- Drinks: There are many drinks you can make yourself at home that can help in the cleansing process. Whether you’re a water, tea, juice, or smoothie person there are plenty of recipes out there for you!
- Salads: Another great way is by increasing those greens ladies! Salads are not only filling but by throwing the right combination of veggies in a salad bowl you get a beautiful and colorful meal that will do your body wonders!
- Soups: Did someone say soup? Yes I said soups. There are plenty of recipes available for soups hot or cold (also known as gazpacho) that are just as cleansing and filling as the other options. Not only do they taste good but they give a helping hand to our beautiful digestive tract.
I have a whole list of recipes I love, but to save time I will include one of each. However, you guys can check out my pinterest page for more inspiration! (For time sake I have used images provided but for actual photos of my recipes please check my IG page)
Cucumber and Lemon Water
1 Sliced cucumber
2 Medium Organic Lemons
Quart of Filtered water (I use my Brita)
Slice cucumber and lemon. Add to pitcher, chill in fridge over night!
3 Celery Stalks
2 Green apples sliced
1 pear sliced
A few stalks of Kale
1/2 citrus fruit (I switch between lemons and limes)
1/2 piece of ginger (I use less because I don’t like spice)
Put each piece through your juicer until you get a delicious juice. Make sure all components are chilled or place in fridge until chilled. Consume right away.
8 ounces of hot filtered water
1 green tea and ginseng tea bag
1-2 Tablespoons of organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tablespoon of organic raw honey for taste (optional)
Boil water, steep bag as directed on box, add acv, and add honey
Green Smoothies (My favorite)
1 green apple cut
2 cups spinach raw
1 cup kale raw
1/2 cup berries (I use blueberries as I am allergic to strawberries
1 Tablespoon of Flaxseed
1 Tablespoon of Chia seeds
1 Cup coconut water
1 Cup nut milk of choice (I choose either almond milk or coconut milk)
1 Tablespoon honey
1-2 Tablespoon of Non-fat yogurt
Combine all ingredients in blender several parts at a time and blend for desired consistency. For a thinner consistency add more liquid, thicker add less liquid.
1 bag spring mix
2 cups Kale
1 cup broccoli
1 cup red cabbage
1 Cup of Chickpeas drained and rinsed (I use my own but you can use canned)
Add grilled chicken breast if you’d like
3 Tablespoons of olive or Avacado oil
2 Tablespoons of brown mustard (use Dijon for less spice)
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric (good for inflammation)
Pinch of Cayenne pepper
1-2 Tablespoons of sweetener of choice (Agave, Honey, Maple Syrup)
Combine all ingredients minus chicken (add at the end) in a large bowl. Top with chicken and dressing. Enjoy.
Butternut Squash Detox soup
1 roasted butternut squash (you can use boxed if you like but I always use my own to make sure there aren’t any preservatives.)
1/2 medium sized onion
2-3 medium sized carrots chopped
2 Celery Stalks
1 Qt of Vegetable stock (If not homemade I use an organic brand from Aldi’s to save time)
1/2 Tablespoon of minced garlic
1/2 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon of Turmeric
Salt and Pepper to Taste.
- Saute onion, carrots, and celery until just softened in ghee or oil of choice ( I use either vegetable, or coconut oil) . 2. Add roasted butternut squash, vegetable broth, and garlic.3. Bring up to a boil for 15 minutes. Turn it down and let Simmer for 20-30 minutes until flavors blend together. 3. Take off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Blend with immersion blender or in blender in small batches to avoid explosion (take caution if you will be transferring liquid) until smooth. 4. Return to pan and add , cayenne pepper, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Like anything with your health cleanses/detoxing are not a quick fix to better health or weight loss. It is an aid in a bigger picture for you to take control of your life so that you can have balance and be able to enjoy the things you love.