Hey guys and welcome back!
If you’re new and you enjoy the post please feel free to comment, like, and/or follow for future content as I would love to have you join the 4mommyvibez community.
We all have our moments where we desire a little comfort. With the weather change it’s the perfect time to get something warm in our systems and cuddle up with the ones we love.
Everyone in my house has been a little under the weather so I’ve decided to make a nice pot of chicken and dumplings and warm brownie sundaes as a special treat. If you’re interested please keep reading, if not feel free to read any of my previous post.
*You can also make this vegan by replacing the dairy and meat products with vegetable stock, unflavored nut milk, and tofu! Just as delightful in my opinion.
This recipe is especially special because my grandmother who has passed used to make it for me. She loved for me to be in the kitchen with her and I would do anything to have her here with me. So this dish is dedicated to her.
On to the stew:
4 Quarts Chicken broth
1 Cup Milk
Salt (for taste)
Pepper (for taste)
Poultry season (For Taste)
2-3 Celery Stalks
2 Medium Carrots/ Substitute for a cup or more baby carrots
4 Medium Russet Potatoes or 2 Large
1 Medium Yellow onion
2 Garlic Cloves-Substitute with 1-2 Tbl spoons of minced garlic
All Purpose Flour- 1 cup and a couple of Tbl spoons
Water-A few Tbl spoons
Oil of choice- For frying drumsticks
2 cans of buttermilk biscuits (saves time on making dumplings for those pressed on time)
1. Place chicken drumsticks in bowl of cool water and salt over night. If being made same day leave at least 1 hour for brining.
2. Chop celery, carrots, potatoes, and onion and place to the side.
3. Rinse and pat chicken drumsticks dry. Season with salt and pepper. In a bowl add 1 cup of flour. Place chicken drumsticks in flour, coat and shake off excess.
4. In skillet place 1/2 in. oil on medium-high heat. Once heated and 3-4 drumsticks searing on all sides. Remove and drain oil. Repeat and set aside.
5. In large pot heat 1-2 Tbl spoons of butter. Once melted add onion until translucent. Add chopped carrot, potatoes, and celery until softened. (Stir often) Add garlic, thyme, and poultry seasoning until fragrant. (Watch carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.)
6. Add a 1-2 tbl spoons of flour to coat veggies. (You can also make a slurry which is just a few tsp spoons of flour and water). Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
7. After 15 minutes add in drumsticks and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes. Add in garlic, poultry seasoning, dried thyme.
8. Slice biscuit dough into quarters tossing lightly with melted butter, and dried parsley. (I’m trying the savory method with pepper and tumeric).
9. Remove chicken, (keep warm). Stir in milk, and add biscuit dough into soup. Bring back up to a boil for 12-15 minutes until dough is cooked through. Stir occasionally. (Do not cover.)
10.Remove dumplings and add chicken back briefly to warm. Add dumplings back. Serve.
*Tip: Clean as you go to avoid a sink full of dishes.
Makes 6-8 servings.
1. Make brownie mix as instructed on box.
2. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
3. Slice and add to bowl. Top with favorite ice cream and toppings.
I hope you guys enjoy these comfort recipes. Make sure to check the 4mommyvibez IG for photos.
Peace and blessings